Baked Chicken With Parmesan and Tomatoes
Think of this as an easy version of chicken Parmesan, tender chicken, tangy tomatoes and crispy bits of Parmesan. The bath of garlicky tomatoes gently cooks the chicken, keeping it juicy, while the Parmesan returns some richness lost in choosing boneless and skinless breasts. Seek out chicken breasts on the larger side to give the Parmesan a chance to properly brown and crisp up without overcooking.
MAKES: 4 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs thyme, oregano or rosemary
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce Parmesan, plus about 2 tablespoons for garnish
- ½ cup parsley or basil, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Slice the tomatoes in half crosswise and place in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish along with garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until chicken is about halfway cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and grate Parmesan over chicken.
- Return to oven and continue to bake until chicken is cooked through, tomatoes are starting to caramelize and Parmesan is browned and crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley or basil before serving, if desired, and garnish with shavings of Parmesan.
Storage Keeps for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Adapted from one of Alison Roman's recipes.