Roasted Cauliflower Salad With Watercress, Walnuts and Gruyère
This salad takes a bit of time to prepare but it is well worth the effort. The salad tastes best when the cauliflower is still warm, but if you are pressed for time you can roasted the cauliflower ahead of time and serve cool. It makes an elegant start to a dinner party meal and compliments nearly any protein you may be serving.
MAKES: 4 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 bunches watercress, large stems removed
- ¼ pound Gruyère, diced or grated (about 1 cup)
- ⅔ cup toasted walnuts
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, toss together the cauliflower, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast, tossing occasionally, until tender and dark golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar with the remaining salt and pepper, and then whisk in the remaining oil.
- In a salad bowl, toss the watercress, cheese, nuts and warm cauliflower. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss until well combined.