Tender Green Salad With Strawberries, Cucumber, Pistachio and Basil
This spring salad is as simple as it is delightful. The ingredient that drives it is the season’s very best strawberries -- plump with juice, deeply ruby-colored and with a perfume that greets you from across the room. Thin slices of English cucumber offer a cool, crisp contrast, and basil leaves provide a soft, fragrant accent. It is dressed with a honey-white wine vinaigrette.
MAKES: 4 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head butter, Boston or bibb lettuce, leaves torn (about 5 cups, lightly packed)
- 6 large or 12 small hulled strawberries, quartered if large, halved if small
- 1/4 English (seedless) cucumber, cut into thin half-moons
- 2 tablespoons shelled, unsalted pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped (see NOTE)
- 4 large or 8 medium fresh basil leaves, torn
Whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to form a dressing.
Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Drizzle in about half of the dressing, and toss to coat.
Divide the dressed lettuce among individual salad plates. Arrange the strawberries and cucumber slices on top, then drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Top each portion with 1/2 tablespoon of pistachios and some basil.NOTE: Toast the pistachios in a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat for a few minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned. Cool completely before using
Adapted from one of Ellie Krieger's amazing recipes