This is a very flavorful rice dish that has become one of our favorites. The fennel adds such a distinct flavor to the rice that we love. Because we use Magic Mineral Broth instead of water to cook the rice , the results taste buttery without the butter calories and fat. This rice pairs well with many main course offerings.
PREP/COOK TIME: 60 Minutes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fennel (2 medium bulbs), trimmed, cored and diced small
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup long grain rice, such as basmati, rinsed, or coarse bulgur
- 1 3/4 cups Magic Mineral Broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- Freshly ground pepper
- Rinse rice in a colander until water runs clear. Let drain while you prepare the onions and fennel.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a deep skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in fennel, add a generous pinch of salt, and cook, stirring often, until fennel has wilted and softened, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to a large lidded sauce pan at medium heat. When hot, sir in rice to coat with the olive oil. Add Magic Mineral broth and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 18 minutes, until rice is soft and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Mix onion and fennel into the rice. Add parsley and serve hot.