Rice Bowl With Oven-Baked Miso Tofu
If you are a fan of a rice or grain bowl, then this is one to try. This recipe is being made with white rice but we often substitute brown rice, quinoa or a combination of the two. If doing the combo, cook the quinoa and rice separately and then combine when cooked. This bowl was made with a mix of tofu, sauteed kale, Cucumber Salad with Ginger and Garlic, and red bell peppers because that is what we had on hand. Feel free to make substitutions on the veggies. We sometime add sliced avocado to the top or use broccoli with or instead of the red peppers. We like to make extra of the sauce for drizzling on the assembled bowl.
Make Ahead: The marinade will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
Serving size: 4
1 14-ounce block of organic extra-firm tofu, cut into 8 slices
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
⅛ teaspoon of cayenne (optional)
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 tablespoons white or yellow miso
2 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or sunflower oil
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
3 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
1 bunch lacinato kale
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Wrap the tofu in paper towels and place between two plates. Weight the top plate with a large can of whatever you have in the pantry to squeeze the excess water out of the tofu. Let that stand for about 10 minutes then you can slice the tofu.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
3. Whisk together the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cayenne, honey or agave nectar, lime juice, miso, mirin, and oils. Pour into a dish that can accommodate all of the tofu slices in a single layer (such as a baking dish). Place the tofu slices in the marinade and turn them over. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes, turning once or twice. Transfer to the baking sheet. Add the peppers to the dish with the marinade and toss to coat thoroughly, then place on the baking sheet in a single layer.
4. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, turning the peppers once with tongs, until the edges of the tofu are just beginning to color and the marinade sets on the surface, and the peppers are sizzling and beginning to color on the edges. Remove from the heat.
5. Meanwhile, make the sautéed kale. Clean and remove the ribs of the kale. Chop the kale into bite sized pieces.
6. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet at medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the kale and toss to wilt. Lower the heat to low. Add salt and pepper to taste then cover with a lid for about 5 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from heat and keep warm.