Cherry Berry Smoothie Bowls
A smoothie bowl is a frosty fruit smoothie made extra thick so you can pour it into a bowl, top it with all kinds of fun add-ons and eat it with a spoon as a cool, refreshing breakfast or snack.
This version is a puree of cherries, for brilliant red color, and ripe banana, so sweet that you don’t need any added sugar, blended with low-fat milk and topped with juicy berries, chewy coconut and crunchy, protein-rich almonds and chia seeds. It’s one of those recipes you can freely play around with using any kind of fruit, milk, nuts and seeds you like.
MAKES: 4 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- 1 very ripe banana, frozen
- 2 cups frozen pitted cherries
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk (1 percent)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup shredded dried unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see NOTE)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Combine the banana, cherries, milk and vanilla extract in a blender; puree until smooth. You might need to stop the blender to stir with a spatula a couple of times, depending on the appliance's power.
- Divide among individual bowls, then arrange the blueberries, raspberries, coconut, almonds and chia seeds on top of each portion. Serve right away.
Storage Keeps in the refrigerator a few days'
Adapted from one of Ellie Krieger's amazing recipes