Coconut Ginger Tea With Lime, Honey and Turmeric
I love teas especially Chai. I infused shredded coconut and ginger and added a little fresh lime juice, honey and a smidgeon of turmeric.
MAKES: 2 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 40 minutes
- ¼ cup finely grated unsweetened coconut
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 ½ cups boiling water
- Up to 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, to taste
- For each serving: 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons honey or honey-turmeric paste (see below)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place the coconut and ginger in a large pyrex measuring cup or teapot and pour on the boiling water. Cover and allow to steep for 30 minutes or longer. Strain into another measuring cup, a bowl or a teapot and press the coconut against the strainer to extract all the flavorful liquid.
- Reheat the infusion and pour into cups. Stir 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons honey or honey-turmeric paste into each cup.
Storage You can keep the infusion for a day in the refrigerator. Reheat and proceed with Step 2.
Adapted from one of Martha Rose Shulman's amazing recipes