Garlic-Rosemary White Bean Toasts
This Mediterranean plate of crunchy toast topped with coarsely mashed, seasoned white beans takes just 15 minutes to make, with ingredients that are easy to keep in the kitchen.Serve it as a nibble for pop-in guests, or, along with a salad or soup, as a satisfying and healthful light meal.
MAKES: 6 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium slices crusty, whole-grain bread (about 5 ounces total)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- One 15-ounce can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Use 1 tablespoon of the oil (total) to brush the slices of bread on one side. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet, oiled sides up; toast (top rack) for about 10 minutes, until browned and crisp.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the garlic and rosemary; cook for 1 minute, stirring, then remove from the heat. Add the beans, lemon juice and salt. Use the back of a spoon or a fork to mash some of the beans, creating a mix of mashed, whole and partially mashed beans.
Spread each toast with the bean mixture, then use the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to drizzle over each portion. Sprinkle with the parsley and crushed red pepper flakes.
Storage Bean mixture keeps for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Adapted from one of Ellie Krieger's amazing recipes