Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
Portobellos are a "meaty" mushroom. When marinated these juicy, salty, and tangy mushrooms have a heft that is undoubtedly as filling as a beef burger. One of our favorite “shrooms”.
Serving size: 2
Time: 30 Minutes (prep & marinade)/20 Minutes cooking
12 ounces portobello mushrooms (approximately 4 medium)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sliced sweet onion (approximately 1/2 medium)
4 slices of sourdough bread (or sandwich rolls of your choice)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, patted dry, and sliced thin
1/4 cucumber, sliced thin
1 cup arugula or spinach leaves
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel and cut into 1/2 -inch slices. Place in a large resealable plastic bag along with the oil, vinegar, garlic, and onion. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 48 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the bread slices or sliced rolls in half on a baking sheet.
3. In a large skillet over low to medium-low heat, cook the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and marinade liquid for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and the liquid has reduced.
4. Toast the bread/rolls in the oven until warm and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Divide the mushroom mixture evenly onto the rolls and top each with 1 tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes, arugula, and feta cheese.