Grilled Squid with Lemon and Garlic
We love this grilled squid recipe. Squid are low in calories and a serving of this dish gives you about 25% of your daily Vitamin B12 needs. It does have about as much cholesterol as 2 eggs, so this is a dish to have as a treat once and awhile. Look for already cleaned squid that are small for this dish. (You will need two 12 inch metal skewers for this recipe.) This makes a nice appetizer or a light dinner over a bunch of tender greens.
MAKES: 4 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 40 Minutes
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Minced fresh Italian Parsley
- 1 1/2 Pounds Small Squid (with tentacles)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
- On your gas grill: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat until hot, about 10 minutes. Leave all burners on high.
- Meanwhile, combine 3 tablespoon oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Using a kitchen shears, cut the squid bodies lengthwise down 1 side. Open squid bodies and flatten into planks. Pat the bodies and tentacles dry with paper towels, then toss them with remaining oil. You made need a bit more oil if the squid are not well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Thread the tentacles on the skewers.
- Clean the grill grates very well with a grill brush and then wipe with a well oiled cloth or paper towels. Place the squid bodies and tentacle skewers on the grill. Drape any long tentacles over the skewers to prevent them from falling through the grill bars. Cook covered until the squid are opaque and lightly charred, about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Transfer bodies to a plate and tent with aluminum foil and continue to cook the tentacles for about 3 minutes more, then transfer to plate with squid bodies.
- Using tongs, remove tentacles from the skewers. Transfer the bodies to a cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch thick strips. Add tentacles and bodies to bowl with the oil, lemon mixture and toss to coat. Serve with lemon wedges.