Mashed Cinnamon Butternut Squash
This is a delicious and comforting dish and makes a great substitute for mashed potatoes.
MAKES: 4 Servings
PREP/COOK TIME: 55 minutes
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cube (or 1 package precut butternut squash)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (or more to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup, if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the squash with olive oil, cinnamon, ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until the squash is well coated. Spread squash in a layer on the prepared pan. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until soft and tender.
- Transfer the squash to a food processor, add the maple syrup if wanted, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Process until smooth and creamy. Taste. If you think it needs a little extra punch, add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
Storage Will keep for a day in the refrigerator.
Adapted from one of Rebecca Katz' amazing recipes.